Sunday, January 22, 2017

My Least Favorite Books of 2016

I read A LOT of books I disliked this year.  I don't know if the older I get the more cantankerous I become but books take a lot to get more than three stars from me nowadays. 

The first book I disliked this year was Watership Down.  I'm sorry, I know that's a lot of people's favorite.  It was a long, hard read for me and one I was happy to unhaul when I finished it.

A series that Bug and I read together this year was the entirety of The Chronicles of Narnia series and we both hated every page of it.  She slightly enjoyed The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, but only because she loves the movie so she was able to understand what was happening pretty easy.  It was so preachy and cringe-worthy and I ended up finished the last couple of chapters of the last book by myself because she was just so over it.

The Prince by Machiavelli was one of the shortest books I read this year and also one of the most boring.  I honestly didn't understand any of it.  Not one sentence. 

Bug was really looking forward to The BFG movie and I wanted to read the book before I saw it so I checked it out of our library and man, am I glad I didn't pay for that book.  Bug normally likes Roald Dahl books and even she hated this one.  It almost felt like it talked down to us, like we were too stupid to understand it was a nonsensical book.  Big letdown.

Let's talk about my number one most hated book of 2016.  I'm sure it will come as a surprise to a lot of big book lovers because most people raved about this book this year.  A Little Life by Hanye Yanagihara.  I.  Hated.  This.  Book.  I literally threw it down when I finished and ranted to my husband for about thirty minutes about how revolting it was.  If ever there was a Mary Sue character to have existed it is Jude.  God, I could wax poetically all the ways this book pissed me off for at least an hour.

Just goes to show that just because a book wins awards doesn't mean it's any good.

No comments:

Post a Comment