Thursday, March 10, 2016

My February Book Pile

My February list wasn't as impressive as my January one but considering I was insanely sick for most of the month and didn't feel like doing much of anything besides eating bologna sandwiches and marathoning Elementary, I think it's a pretty decent pile.


I started the month out really strong and had several books finished by the end of the first week but then I crashed and burned when I came down with the worst bug I've ever had in my life.  I was honestly down and out for almost two weeks.  I probably lost like ten pounds.

That was probably a good thing now that I'm thinking about it...

I had even went to the library a few hours earlier and picked up a huge stack of books because I was feeling so confident on how I was progressing through books.  And then about three hours later I was comatose on my couch and crying to leave work because I needed someone to pity me.

One of the books I had picked up at the library was Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo.  This poor book you guys.  It was the second time I'd checked it out.  The first time I read about five pages and hated it but I was wanting to give it a second chance since I kind of liked the Grisha series.  It is nowhere near my list of favorite series but I liked it enough to finish it and I was really hoping to get into more of this world.  When I went under the black quilt of death and couldn't even drag myself to my bathroom, much less crack open a huge book, I just knew it was the end of that book for me.

It took me three weeks but I finally finally finished it on the last day of February.  It was literally about eight at night and I was frantically reading it because it was due back the next day and I had no renewals available.

Six of Crows wasn't my favorite book of the month but after the plot finally picked up (which took about 150 pages) I actually enjoyed it.  It was a close second for favorite.

My favorite of the month was The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.  I love these kind of slow, easy, Southern historical novels.  This book transported me straight into the plot and I completely fell in love with Kidd's writing.  I've actually owned this book for ages and it's exciting to finally see just what treasures are already under my roof.

The book that made me want to burn it gleefully was The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli.  This book was so
so
so
boring.
I could only manage about twenty pages a day of it and that was pushing it.  This was a book you would read in a college ethics class and nothing more.  Also I see now where calling some 'Machiavellian' came from because wow.  This dude has some issues...

No comments:

Post a Comment